The Wendt Family

The Wendt Family
By small and simple things are great things brought to pass.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Baking Lesson from the Girls

I had to relinquish control of my kitchen for an hour.
 It was hard to do.
Well, not that hard....  I want to let my kids be kids by making messes and learn-by-doing and all that other stuff that is generally house-wrecking in nature. I let them build forts with all the cushions and blankets. I let them climb trees and dig in the dirt. I let them make long lines of train tracks and stuffed animals. I let Tatum clip out pictures of animals in the newspaper. Yes, I let them use markers and scissors to draw pictures and make books.   Most of these activities are done OUTSIDE the kitchen.  So when Tatum asked to make sugar cookies I knew that it would make the kitchen a mess, but it would be something the girls could do together and  really, it would only cost me about $3.00.  (price of the cookie mix + 1 egg + butter)
I just wasn't looking forward to cleaning up the giant mess.
It turned out not too giant though and they had a great time.
If I ever want them to be proficient in the kitchen they have to start somewhere, right?!

Step 1: Have Mom make your dough.
Step 2: Put on a random costume.
Step 3: Roll the dough out.





 If the dough doesn't roll out just right, try using your feet like so:
 Be sure to use plenty of flour!

 Step 4:  Use Halloween cookie cutters to make lots of cookies.
 Sometimes it's hard to get them on the cookie sheet. That's OK.  Just eat the ones that don't look right.
 Step 5:   Tell mom to put them in the oven. 
Step 6: Forget the cookies! Let's find something else to do!
Step 7: Mom throws away cookies because she saw how they were made and she doesn't want anyone to eat  cookies that were licked, stomped and dropped.


NOLAN IS 9 YEARS OLD!!!   
 He loved opening birthday letters and boxes. He got some fun stuff including some dollars! He was very happy about that! Danny gave him his old wallet and  he spends an hour counting his money and carefully folding it into his new wallet.  Happy Birthday Nolan!

 He is in 3rd grade now!  He's loving it so far- probably because they go on a field trip every week!!!
We started him on private speech therapy again after about a year break.  It's just so expensive! But he has insurance now- hooray! The only bummer part is that  his previous SLP wasn't a provider on this insurance. :( So sad.  He loved Stephanie.  (Anyone in Bend- I highly recommend her!!)   His language is all over the place.   Thank-you  autism.  Here is a sample:

SLP: Nolan, tell me that she is helping her dad pick apples.
Nolan: She's helping her dad because he was trying she was trying to um pick apples then he's gonna do apples he's gonna chop the apples and he's gonna have uh a sandwich and and some carrots and his and her juice box that's how he's gonna have that's how she's is gonna have lunch for her for them.

It's hard to follow huh?
He's really come a long way for someone who couldn't really talk when he was 4!
We love Nolan. He loves Beckam too. He always says, "Beckam is a cute little guy."   Haha. He also says, "I used to be Beckam."  (which is his way of saying he used to be that little too)
Oh Nolan! You are a great kid! So lively and happy all the time!
And here is that "little guy"
 This is a sleep smile.  He's not actually awake in these 2 pictures.  We're still waiting for that REAL smile!  He'll be 8 weeks old tomorrow!
Beckam @ 7 weeks.  I love my baby!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that you allow your children to make messes. That is my life here in Albuquerque. We make TONS of messes and some how by 8 at night they get cleaned up. It wouldn't be childhood if it was clean, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best! That is our favorite way to make cookies too! I cant believe that they are nine this year! Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete