The Wendt Family

The Wendt Family
By small and simple things are great things brought to pass.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

The PATH less traveled...

Do you know about the Pathway program through BYU-I?
It's SO awesome. I started crying when I learned about it.  I cry only 3 times a year. Maybe 4 if someone has died. {Growing up with 5 brothers has made my heart turn to stone.}
This is a big deal to me.
I can finally get my degree!
I can finish what I started!

I'm at this desk a lot:


This guy is left alone more than usual... yikes!




The classes are all online. We gather at the church for a discussion group every Thursday night called a Gathering. There are Gathering groups ALL over the world. Yes, the WORLD. From South Africa to Italy. From Russia to Brasil. It's an amazing, inspired program.
Danny was traveling this last week and attended a gathering in Washington.

One great thing about the Thursday night gatherings is that I can play the piano! I do love to play- especially hymns- but I don't play at home very often. 



But really, the greatest thing about Pathway is studying the Book of Mormon. Not just reading it... STUDYING it.  I'm learning so much. The stories I knew from my childhood are seen in a new light, from the parent's perspective... from the rebellious brothers' perspectives. I'm asking more questions and consulting the footnotes.  We've only read 5 chapters and already there is a wealth of information.  This book was NOT MADE UP. It is too intricate and profound to be written by Joseph Smith. This is a history of peoples in ancient America. It is another testament of Jesus Christ.


Can I share something that I hadn't thought of before?
If you are LDS you probably know the verse highlighted below:

 We sing a song in Primary inspired from this verse.  It goes, "I will go, I will do, the things the Lord commands. I know the Lord provides a way, He wants me to obey."
It's the most quoted verse from 1 Nephi 3.

BUT, after listening to an excerpt from a talk given by Stan Kivett, a religion teacher at BYU-I, I'm struck more by verse 15:


Isn't that incredible? Nephi wont stop until his task is accomplished. How many times have I given up after failing one time?  From verse 7 we know that He will provide a way to finish. Is it good enough to say, "Well, I tried to follow the commandments but it didn't work." Or, "I went to visit ___ but she wasn't home so I guess that's good enough." Or, "I wanted to sign up to help but I didn't get the sign-up sheet."  
I could go on.
One classmate brought up the point that Nephi was a young boy. He doesn't say his age but he says he is large for his age. That makes us think puberty age maybe?  His older brothers were still living at home and his mom wasn't done having babies, so Nephi was young.  But he endured. He worked to find a way. He didn't give up. We have to put forth work to gain a testimony. We have to be diligent in magnifying our callings.  Like Nephi, I know that the Lord will bless us when we are doing our best to follow the commandments. Faith without works is dead.(James 2:26)  

I'm thankful for these new insights. I challenge you to pick up The Book of Mormon and see what you can apply to your life today!





No comments:

Post a Comment