The Wendt Family

The Wendt Family
By small and simple things are great things brought to pass.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Nolan's Milestone

Well, it was a big day in the Wendt household: Nolan lost a tooth! At 7.5 years old, he was the last kid in his class with a full set of baby teeth. His gums are swollen with big teeth ready to break free and take the place of the chipped, yellowed, and dying smaller ones. Story: Three years ago, Nolan chipped his 2 front teeth trying to dive back into the jacuzzi when the cover was coming down. The dentist wanted to pull out his front teeth. I was like, Heck no, I'm getting a second opinion! So I asked my dad who happens to be an orthodontist if our little guy had to be without front teeth for 4 years... (Not to mention how it would affect his speech!) After my dad looked at the x-rays he assured me it was unlikely that Nolan would form an abscess and we could keep his teeth. So he still has them, but they are chipped and one is a bit dark. People comment, " Oh! That dark tooth is about to fall out, huh?!" I answer, "Yep, I guess so!" But what I'm really thinking is: Actually, it's been dark for 3 years. You don't know what you're talking about. And thanks for reminding him that he hasn't lost any teeth yet! Back to the nice Renae: It's better for him to lose them later right? That way he has less time to ruin the new ones with sugar and grinding. And he has that much more time to practice brushing correctly! Also, it snowed a whole bunch the other day Danny built an igloo for the kids like he always does when it snows a lot... Luckily, we drove home from Portland the day before it snowed. Carly got her most recent laser treatment while we were there.

The doctor says she'll most likely have lip surgery this year because it's growing too fast. She also has to see the eye doctor again to make sure her eye doesn't have excess pressure. Her little eye was almost swollen shut after this round of treatments. .. :( But overall, she's doing well and even helps put on the vaseline. Another OHSU visit is scheduled for April~

And an update on Tatum so she's not left out: She is really into making reward charts for us.

This one is for DAD

As you can see, it has pictures of what is expected... and boxes for stars when completed. She says it means: 1. No being mad 2. No crying 3.No being frustrated 4. No covering your ears saying I can't hear you! 5. Yes for smiling 6. No doing this face.

No word yet, on what This face might be. And seriously, can you see Dan doing #4 all obnoxiously?

His prize is a new dinner plate.

She made a similar chart for me. My prize is a flower. How thoughtful she is to help us control our emotions!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my heck Renae those reward charts are too cute! Yay for Nolan loosing his first tooth....I remember when Kabren lost his first tooth he was SO EXCITED! Little Carly is such a trooper! Best of luck with the lip surgery and eye doctor. Miss you Renae and hope that all is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Nolan! :) I love reading your updates, Renae!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love checking in and seeing what you all have been up to. Looks like life is great. We miss you tons!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete